- Himalaya (Nelles, 1999) is a folded map of the area, by a Munich publisher.
- Two large format maps by GiziMap, based in Budapest, Tibet (2003) and Xizang = Tibet (2007) focus on the entire Autonomous Region of Tibet.
- Xizang Zizhiqu lü you di tu (Chengdu Di Tu Chu Ban She, 2004) is a tourist map produced in China.
- Tibet : Nepal, Sikkim, Bhutan (Gondoni, 2001), Himalaya, the roof of the world (Pham, Pham, 2009), and Himalaya, Tibet, Bhutan, Ladakh, Nepal, Sikkim (Rohweder, Rohweder, 2009) are excellent tourist maps published in English. Gondoni, a cartographer for a publisher based in Kathmandu, Nepal, uses contour lines, Pham and Pham, in British Columbia, use gradient colors, and Rohweder and Rohweder, for Gecko Maps in Switzerland, use shading to portray the terrain.
- Amnye Machen Institute, Dharamsala, India, is a center for Tibetan studies in the home in exile for the Dalai Lama. The Institute’s Tibet and adjacent areas under Communist China's occupation (2001) shows Tibet and adjacent areas of China where Tibetan language and cultural practices are found.
The ancient Tibetan capital is featured on two maps. Lhasa City = Lha-Sa Groń Khyer (Amnye Machen Institute, 1995) shows the entire city, and is accompanied by a booklet with text in English and Tibetan describing the city and a detailed index to buildings and sites on the map. The Lhasa map : Traditional Tibetan architecture and townscape (Larsen and Sinding-Larsen, 2005) has a larger scale map focusing on the city center area. Additional maps on the reverse provide plans of significant sites, including the Potala Palace complex, as well as elevation drawings.
Other maps feature special places.
- Dharamsala, McLeod Ganj (2009) uses satellite imagery to portray the city in Himachal Pradesh, India, that has served as the home of the Dalai Lama. McLeod Ganj is the name of the portion of the city where the temples, monasteries, and study centers are located.
- The high route around Manaslu (Gondoni, 2002) focuses on a mountain and surrounding region in northern Nepal. This is a conservation area, with villages of indigenous populations. It is the focus of a graduate study project by a Miami student.
- Kailās, Mānasarovar (Gondoni, 2002), and Kailash : trekking map (Rohweder, 2006) focus on a sacred mountain in western Tibet. At the base of the mountain are monasteries. Nearby is a lake regarded as the source of the Indus River, one of several major rivers that have their source in the Tibetan Plateau and the northern Himalaya.
These maps convey some of the wonders of this region that fascinates the western world, providing useful information for study. They also reflect a diversity of cartographers, based as they are in Germany, Hungary, Canada, Nepal, and India at the home of the Dalai Lama.
Tibet & Himalaya
Himalaya 1:1,500,000 : Including Tibet, Kashmir, Nepal, Sikkim, Bhutan. 1999. Scale 1:1,500,000. München: Nelles Verlag. Science Map Cabinet G7402.H5 1999 .N4
Tibet . 2003. Scale 1:2,000,000. Santa Barbara, CA: GiziMap ; Map Link. Science Map Coll G7823.T5 2003 .G4
Xizang = Tibet. 2007. Scale 1:2,000,000. Budapest: GiziMap. Science Map Coll G7823.T5 2007 .G5
Xizang Zizhiqu lü you di tu. 2004. Scale 1:2,800,000. Chengdu Shi, China: Chengdu Di Tu Chu Ban She. Science Map Cabinet G7823.T5E635 2004 .C5
Amnye Machen Institute (Dharmsāla, India). 2001. Tibet and adjacent areas under Communist China's occupation. Dharamshala, H.P., India: Amnye Machen Institute. Science Map Coll G7823.T5 2001 .A4
Gondoni, Paolo. 2001. Tibet : Nepal, Sikkim, Bhutan. Scale 1:2,400,000. Kathmandu, Nepal: Himalayan MapHouse; Nepa Publication. Science Map Cabinet G7823.T5 2001 .H55
Pham, Viet Hoa, and Viet Hong Pham. 2009. Himalaya, the roof of the world. Scale 1:1,300,000. Richmond, B.C.: International Travel Maps; ITMB Publishing. Science Map Cabinet G7402.H5E635 2009 .I8
Rohweder, Arne, and Martina Rohweder. 2009. Himalaya, Tibet, Bhutan, Ladakh, Nepal, Sikkim. Scale 1:1,600,000. Hinteregg, Switzerland: Gecko Maps. Science Map Cabinet G7402.H5 2009 .G4
Lhasa & Other Special Places
Amnye Machen Institute (Dharmsāla, India). 1995. Lhasa City = Lha-Sa Groń Khyer. Scale 1:12,500. Dharamsala H.P., India: Amnye Machen Institute; Centre for Occupied Tibet Studies. Science Map Cabinet G7824.L5 1995 .A4
Larsen, Knud, and Amund Sinding-Larsen. 2005. The Lhasa map : Traditional Tibetan architecture and townscape. Scale 1:4,000. Hinteregg, Switz.: Gecko Maps. Science Map Cabinet G7824.L5 2005 .L3
Dharamsala, McLeod Ganj : Dharamsala 1:20 000, Upper Dharamsala 1:5 000, McLeod Ganj 1:1 700. 2009. Scale 1:20,000 ; 1:5,000 ; 1:1,700. Hinteregg, Switzerland: Gecko Maps. Science Map Cabinet G7654.D54 2009 .G4
Gondoni, Paolo. 2002. The high route around Manaslu : Gorkha, Arughat, Jagat … Khudi, Besi Sahar. Scale 1:110,000. Kathmandu, Nepal: Himalayan MapHouse. Science Map Cabinet G7762.M25E63 2002 .G6
———. 2002. Kailās, Mānasarovar 1:200 000 : with enlarged details of the sacred routes around Kailas, Humla to Tibet ... Scale 1:200,000. Kathmandu, Nepal: Nepa Publication ; Himalayan MapHouse. Science Map Cabinet G7822.K35 2002 .G6
Rohweder, Arne. 2006. Kailash : trekking map = Stod Gangs Rinpoche Scale 1:50,000. Hinteregg, Switzerland: Gecko Maps. Science Map Cabinet G7822.K35 2006 .G35